Professional Certificate Courses
Certificate Course in Digital Video Editing
It is often said that the secret to any great audio-visual experience (feature film, telefilms, television show or soap opera, documentary, advertisement film, corporate film) is great editing. Editing is what makes a programme move up from good to great. Even a well directed programme can come out as a boring affair if it is not creatively edited. Similarly, a moderately directed programme can become a big hit due to the creative touch of an Editor. Editing is the heart-beat of an audio-visual programme because it gives the programme a suitable pace and rhythm. It is a perfect combination of Art and Technique.
- Early days of Cinema – Lumiere & George Mellis
- Introduction to Editing
- Contribution of Edwin S. Porter & D.W Griffith in the development of Editing process, Russian school of thought in Editing – contribution of Pudovkin & Eisenstein
- Necessity of Editing
- Equipments required in Editing – Celluloid & Digital
- Factors may impact Editing choices – (a) Basic shot types, (b) Camera angles, (c) Framing & Composition, (d) Continuity, (e) Basic Edit transition
- Different stages of Editing Process – sorting, assemble, rough cut, final cut
- Language of Editing, Director-Editor relationship, Editing aesthetics
- Use of Sound & Sound Editing
- Editing of different scenes – (a) Dialogue, (b) Suspense, Fight & Chase, (c) Song & Dance, (d) Comedy, (e) Montage
- Second part of Editing & its various stages
- Documentary Editing
- Non-fiction/Reality Show etc. Editing
Practical ClassesTheory classes would be followed by Practical classes on Final Cut Pro (MaC)
- Introduction to Digital Format (6 hours)
- FCP (6 hours)
- How to create a Project in FCP (6 hours)
- Digitization of the rushes etc. (6 hours)
- Assembling of Edited scenes (6 hours)
- Dialogue Scene Editing (24 hours)
- Song Editing (24 hours)
- Fight & Chase Scene Editing (24 hours)
- Documentary, Non-fiction Editing (18 hours)
- Sound Editing (12 hours)
- Title & Graphics (6 hours)
- Import & Export (6 hours)
- Sum Up & Student exercises (12 hours)
The course offers to learn all the skills required to edit telefilms, teleserials or any other audio-visual programmes – from technical knowledge to theoretical background, analysis and appreciation with hands on training using the actual equipments. Students are taught all the techniques and nuances required to do a good editing job along with backend data management, whilst also learning about all the latest innovations. Total 156 hours of practical & theoretical classes are spread over 13 weekends – Saturday (Theoretical classes from 5 – 8 pm), Sundays (Practical classes from 12 noon – 6 pm). Theoretical classes will be held at CMI campus, while the practical classes will be held at a studio nearby. Students will be given different individual exercises during the course for better understanding of the technique.
First come first registered basis to fill up limited number of seats.
A photograph and address proof will be needed for the form.
After successful completion of the course students can start their editing career in television and film industry as an assistant editor or technical assistant to an established editor or director or in an edit studio as a studio assistant. They can even start their own edit set-up for professional editing or pursue further studies at SRFTI or FTII.
The course will be conducted by a professional editor with about 25 years of industry experience. He is an alumnus of Film & Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune.
Rs. 30,000 + GST to be paid at the time of admission by account payee cheque or demand draft drawn in favour of Calcutta Media Institute Pvt Ltd and made payable at Kolkata.Online Payment could be made as per details given below:
For payment by NEFT use the following information about CMI Bank account :
Name of the Company : Calcutta Media Institute Pvt Ltd.
Address of the company : 501, Elgin Chambers. 5th floor. 1A, Ashutosh Mukherjee Road. Kolkata 700020
Name of the Bank : United Bank of India. Address of the Bank : College Street Branch. YMCA Building. 90/7, M.G. Road. Kolkata 700012.
C D A/c No. : 0083050002455.
RTGS IFSC No. : UTBI0COL108.
Send Transction Id to CMI at email@example.com post completion of the transfer of funds
The Course duration: 13 weeks
Classes to begin in: Next Batch Starts from 11 November (Limited Seats)
Total 156 hours of practical spread over 13 weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
Classes will be held at CMI campus (501, Elgin Chambers. 5th floor. 1A, Ashutosh Mukherjee Road. Kolkata 700020) and at a studio nearby.
Students will be given individual exercises during the course for a better understanding of the technique.
This being a professional course waiver in attendance will not be allowed.
To Apply Online for Editing Course or,Collect a physical form from:
CMI, 501, Elgin Chambers, 5th Floor, 1A, Ashutosh Mukherjee Road, Calcutta 700 020.
Fill up the form, fix or upload a recent photograph, attach an address proof and submit at CMI or online
For any clarification and assistance regarding admission please contact: Mr. J.B. Roy Chowdhury at +91 98312 30988 / +91 33 3008 6605
For any clarification regarding the course content and prospects please contact: Mr. Malay Dasgupta at +91 98741 22266